When the world feels overwhelming, nothing beats escaping for a bit by curling up with a good book, a cozy blanket and a hot cup of tea. I am an avid fan of keeping the Kindle App downloaded to my iPhone so I always have a book on hand. My mom always told me “you’re never lonely if you’ve got a book” and Momma is always right.
Currently Reading: Fantastic Beasts by J.K. Rowling
Recommendations (in no particular order):
- The Butterfly Garden by Dot Hutchison
- A twisted man abducts and collects young, beautiful women branding them as his butterflies in this thrilling novel. It’s really hard to put this down as the further you get, the more intricate and enthralling the story becomes.
- The Good Girl by Mary Kubica
- Room by Emma Donoghue
- Envision the world from the brain of a child who has never left the single room in which he was born, as his mother, a young, kidnapped woman, tries to make this life as normal as she can. Until one day, when escape becomes a real possibility, and this one-room thought of a world is shattered.
- A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini
- A truly heart wrenching novel, balancing between two generations of Afghani women, brought together by the war. It truly takes you to another culture and immerses you in a a novel about how important love truly is.
- A House In The Sky by Amanda Lindhout
- A biography that will change the world as you view it. A young Canadian woman follows her dreams and becomes a travel photographer, becoming more curious and brave and adventuring into more dangerous territory, until she is held hostage in Somalia. Instead of just being angry and scared, she truly tries to understand the mindset of her abductors. Understanding this perspective written by a brave, strong-willed, compassionate woman make this book a must read.
- Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
- Lone Wolf by Jodi Picoult
- Paper Towns by John Green